- This event has passed.
Victoria Luncheon: Building Enclosures for Tall Wood Buildings
July 15, 2015 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
About the Presenter: Warren Knowles, P.Eng – RDH Building Engineering Ltd.
Warren Knowles is an engineer with a wide range of building science experience, particularly in recognizing the potential opportunities to optimize the performance of both existing and new building projects. He enjoys working with building owners and other project team members to collaboratively determine creative, yet simple solutions to help make their buildings better.
Warren originally became interested in building science many years ago while working in a cold climate and saw the need to make buildings more durable and energy efficient. He has more recently enjoyed the benefits of working in sunny Victoria while continuing to learn new aspects of building science.
Warren has been fortunate enough to have lead projects that have gained industry recognition including:
• APEGBC Sustainability Award
• Canadian Green Building Council and Sustainable Architecture & Building Magazine, first ever Technical Achievement Green Building Award
• National Institute of Building Sciences, Sustainable Buildings Industry Council’s Beyond Green™Award, 1st Place recipient in the Innovations for High-Performance Buildings Category
• Fenestration Association of BC, Project Excellence Award
Warren is the Managing Principal responsible for RDH’s Vancouver Island offices. He is also a supporter of BCBEC, including as a Past President, one of the founding directors of the BCBEC Foundation, and a past director of NBEC.
About the topic: Building Enclosures for Tall Wood Buildings
The construction of mass timber and taller wood structure buildings is becoming more common in North America. The increased exposure to weather and new timber construction methods pose unique challenges for the design and construction team, but also presents new opportunities to build long lasting, energy efficient, useable buildings. The presentation shares ideas on building enclosure design and detailing for these wood buildings and will include a few examples including North America’s new tallest wood building located in Prince George, BC.
• Understand different tall wood building structures and integrated building enclosure elements and how they differ from traditional wood-frame buildings
• Understand design and detailing fundamentals for durable and energy efficient tall wood building enclosures.
• Understand issues faced during the construction of tall wood and mass timber buildings and how to prevent them.